After your procedure, you may be more susceptible to falls.
To reduce your risk of falling:
- Ask about the likelihood of falling and your risk factors
- Know what assistance you require and follow the instructions of the nurse
- If you have been requested to get help, ring the nurse bell before moving about
- Stand up slowly after lying down or sitting
- Sit on the side of the bed for a few minutes before getting up to prevent dizziness
- Take care when bending down, bend at knees only and steady yourself before walking
- Wear comfortable, fitting, flat shoes that grip -don’t walk around in socks or ill-fitting slippers
- Use handrails, if available
- Do not leave clothes or bags on the floor
- Bring walking aids with you
Above all, be sensible and recognise your limitations while in hospital. Do things safely by following the nurses’ instructions.