It is mportant to be aware of your rights and responsibilities as a patient.
While in our care, we respect your right to:
- Privacy and the maintenance of personal dignity, and to be treated with care and consideration.
- Expect all communication and written records pertaining to your care to be treated as confidential by medical and other Foundation staff.
- A clear, concise and understandable explanation by your doctor of your condition, procedure, possible side effects and any associated risks
- Receive from your doctor information necessary to give informed consent prior to the start of any procedure.
- Ask for a second opinion about your proposed treatment. This may be impractical in an emergency situation.
- Withdraw consent and refuse further treatment at any time.
- Receive an explanation of all costs pertaining to your procedure and stay.
- Be informed by your doctor and the Foundation of requirements for continuing health care following discharge.
- Know the identity and professional status of individuals involved in your care.
- Information about the Foundation's mechanism for the initiation, review and resolution of patient's concerns and complaints; information on the procedure for taking complaints to the Health Care Complaints Commission.
- The provision of resources and support for patients with special needs wherever possible.
While in our care, you have the responsibility to:
- Provide accurate and complete information about current symptoms, past illness, hospitalisation, medications and other matters relating to your health.
- Indicate if you do not understand your proposed treatment and expected outcome.
- Follow the agreed treatment plan recommended by your doctor.
- Be considerate of the rights of other patients and the Foundation staff.
- Provide accurate details of your Medicare and/or private health insurance.
- Promptly settle payment of any uninsured component of your account.
- Respect the property of other persons and the Foundation.
- Accept the consequences if you refuse treatment or do not follow your doctor's instructions.
- Arrange suitable transport home after your operation or procedure.
It is important that we have your correct contact details as, occasionally; a clinic may have to be cancelled at short notice due to illness or other circumstances.
Please advise the Foundation if you change your address or telephone number.
Right of complaint.
We value your feedback and would like you to let us know if you are happy / unhappy with any aspect of our service or if you have any suggestions as to how we can improve our service. You do have the right to complain and there is an information booklet published by the Health Care Complaints Commission on your rights and responsibilities as a health consumer. These are available at the desk for you to read if you so desire.