DO NOT CONSUME ANYTHING HOT
Local anaesthetic can last up to three hours, do not eat or drink anything hot to prevent scalding.
Apply ice packs or cold compresses to the treated areas on and off for 24 hours following laser treatment to help minimise discomfort, swelling and bruising.
Always protect your skin by wrapping the ice pack in a protective damp cloth.
First 24 Hours
DO NOT GET IT WET.
Reapply Vaseline to your lip approximately every 2-3 hours to prevent drying, splitting and bleeding. Keep a jar of Vaseline by your bed side during the night, to use if necessary.
For pain relief, Panadol (Panamax/ Paracetamol) or if necessary Panadeine should provide adequate relief. Taking Panadeine on an empty stomach can cause nausea, so have something light to eat first.
If on antibiotics, take as directed by your doctor.
Wash hands thoroughly prior to wound care.
Cleaning the area
- Use gentle cleansing after the first 24 hours.
- Using some wet gauze or make up remover pads, apply a small amount of Cetaphil cleanser onto the lip. Using a gentle circular movement to remove any debris such as old blood, serous ooze (dry clear yellow fluid.)
- Gently pat dry lip and reapply a smear of Vaseline to prevent lip from drying and scabbing.
- Do not attempt to pick the scabbing off, reapply a smear of Vaseline.
- Apply a smear of Vaseline between cleansing.
- Repeat the process every 4-6 hours (or as necessary) until healed (approximately up to 10-14 days.)
- If the lip starts to bleed whilst cleansing, use the Melolite provided and place an ice cube in-between the dressing and put firm pressure onto the bleeding site for at least 5-10 minutes until bleeding ceases.
Longer term instructions
It is recommended that you avoid sun exposure for 8 weeks following treatment to minimise side effects.
An SPF30+ sunscreen should be worn daily during this time (even on cloudy days). This helps to reduce the risk of brown pigmentation (increase in skin colour). If it does occur, it is usually temporary, but can take a few months to fade.
If you have any concerns at all related to your laser treatment, please do not hesitate to call us on (02) 8833 3000 and ask to speak to one of the nursing staff.